Friday, July 18, 2008

Wherever I Go, I Have a Brother

My brother turns 24 tomorrow.
And nothing makes you feel older than other people!
This is my baby brother, who I used to cuddle up next to and read a book to (although I couldn’t read). I’d perform one-woman circuses to keep him laughing while mom cut his hair. And then we used to have dance contests, often with Michael W. Smith’s help. During the boring summers, when we were getting along, we’d turn the TV volume all the way down and do voice over for the soap operas. He was always so much better at this than me. I’d be laughing too hard to respond to him. And moving along, there were Italian Pie Shoppe eating contests and endless movie recitations. And how about that special "glasses" game with mom that occurred in the not-so-distant past?! Ha.

He and I are very different, and currently living under the same roof again, we have some issues. But as we sat on his bedroom floor super late a couple nights ago on our respective computers, he showing me some Facebook ropes, I was reminded of a Time article that came out a few years ago on sibling connections. And how really, your sibling has a much larger impact on your life than you think because he or she is generally around for all of your life. Mom and dad will die much sooner than you. Your spouse doesn’t come along until later in life. Friends come and go. But siblings are there from the beginning and they tend to stay until the end.

I looked over at him…same eyes as me…same hair color…and smiled to myself, thanking God for a relationship that will not go away. Can not go away. No matter how many times he uses all the hot water or how much incense he burns. And no matter how often I'm rude to him or park in his way. Wherever I go, I have a brother. And wherever he goes, he has a sister. And his sister loves him very much.

No comments: