Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The Single Girl's quilt

I took a quilting class last summer. I loved it. And no, I was not the only 20-something there. There were two of us among the other four women. Not a bad ratio, really.

Anyways, yesterday I went to Crafty Planet in Northeast Minneapolis. If you haven’t been and like to sew, you simply must go. Oh the fabrics you can find! I was browsing through the quilt patterns. One jumped out at me, and I pulled it off the rack, flipped it over to check it out in more detail only to discover that the name of this particular quilt pattern was “The Single Girl.” I jammed it back into place. It almost felt like going to the grocery store as a single girl at midnight on a Friday night for Ben & Jerry’s or something. I go to Crafty Planet and pick up “The Single Girl” quilt. Great.

Now what does this mean? Perhaps that only a single girl would take on such a quilt as this because it was pretty intense and tedious and would take up lots of time, time that non-single people clearly do not have. Or maybe a single girl needs a quilt such as this to keep her warm while she eats her Ben and Jerry’s.

I like to think I'm cool, even if I do sew my own wallets and purses and quilt and bake. And one of my dearest friends has cats (plural) and she lives alone. But just you wait right there, because I know what you’re thinking. A spinster cat woman. So now we have quilter and spinster. But this friend is the coolest of the cool. In fact, she’s a freelance writer and recently had to write a story on the spicy cocktails sold in hip, posh bars around Minneapolis (after she visited all of them of course). Not so spinsterish, huh? And then another of my single friends does scrapbooking. Yup. Go ahead. I know you’re getting an image in your head. Now we have quilter, spinster and scrapbooker. Except this girl has some mad salsa moves and pulls off some pretty short skirts like nobody’s business. Not generally what you think of when you think stickers, stencils and scissors.

So, I pulled that pattern back out and showed it to my cat-lover and scrapbooker friend who were with me. We laughed out loud. And then headed to the vintage shop next door for clothes and then to Snap! for some pizza.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi hj! it's jc!!! not jesus christ ... jeannie choi. I LOVE THIS POST! Single girls... UNITE.
:)
this single girl likes to dream up new cheese and fruit combinations :)