Friday, July 25, 2008

Half straight, half curly

Usually, I blow-dry my hair straight, and every now and then I throw people for a loop by letting it air dry, and thus, letting it go curly. (Thank you, mom.) When I do this, I inevitably get asked if I got a perm. Do people even still get perms? The idea that people think I’m the type of person who would get a perm in 2008 is a little distressing, but I smile and say no, it’s natural. Then they say they’re jealous. They wish they could do both curly and straight.

Sure they do, until it gets humid, like today! I blow dry it straight, and by the time I get to work it’s begun kinking up and doing weird things that I didn’t ask it to do. I can’t keep it straight, try as I might (although my expensive, new straightener does help). Had I planned on wearing it curly, I could have made it look semi-decent. But I didn’t. It’s like the strands are confused. Which way should they go? They can’t make a decision so they go every which way. I end up half-straight, half-curly, with a slight frizz effect.

I feel like my hair most of the time. I leave in the morning confident and content because often I’ve just spent time chatting it up with God, and He and I are tight. I tell him how selfish and mean-spirited I’ve been. I tell him my wants and desires, things he already knows but still listens to earnestly. I thank Him for everything, all the things I tend to take for granted. I feel good.

But by the time I get to work, I’ve kinked up. I got impatient in traffic. I swore out loud when I spilled coffee on my kackis. I plop down at my desk irritated, and shoot a friend a terse email. I start worrying about how I’m going to accomplish all the things I “need” to accomplish, about what certain people think of me, the future…you name it. This isn’t what I wanted! I didn’t sign up to be this way. Like my hair, this is not what I had planned. And why the heck did I just spend time with God if this is where it got me? Right back to frizziness.

It’s a big, fat reminder that we are hard-wired for things less-than-admirable. And Christianity is so not the flip of a switch. It’s not "Dear God, Amen. And now onto life." It’s a reminder that spending time with God should not just be 15 minutes in the morning, and then checking back in with Him tomorrow. He needs to be hangin’ out with me all the time, and I know from experience when I allow this to happen, my frizziness is kept to a bare minimum. If He's sitting next to me, my "to-do" list loses its scariness and what others think of me? Who the heck cares?

I always think of a message my pastor in California gave once. He said we run out our front doors every morning, and poor God is just sitting there on our couch wondering why we didn’t offer to bring our best friend along? He’s ready and willing.

So, on this Friday morning, as my hair is so … all over the place … I think of the song “What a Friend We Have in Jesus.” Which really isn't sung often enough. And I'm telling God to come hang out with me. The weekend's almost here, and there's lots of fun to be had.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge, take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield you; you will find a solace there.

No comments: