Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Comm 101

My parents have been married for nearly 30 years, and I give them crap. HOW?! Sometimes their communication is comical.
And I have to side with mom, because….well, I am my mom. But I experience dad’s communication firsthand. I can send a three-paragraph email asking five questions of him. Dad’s response? “Dear, Heather. Yes. Love you. Dad.” Yes what? Yes to question 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5? And if 3, I asked WHY?!

He and I traversed the country last fall, covering more than 3,000 miles together on a road trip adventure. But I think it’s safe to say that about 90% of those miles were spent in silence. And don’t get me wrong. I’m an introvert, like him, so I was perfectly content. But I had to laugh thinking about most of my road trips spent with girlfriends. Give us a boy or two to work with, and we’ll knock off hours as if they’re seconds!

This morning I was rushing out of the house, coffee, sunglasses, CD of the day and keys in hand, but a note on the table stopped me. It was from dad. To mom.
"Dear [mom's nickname],
Have a great day.
Love, BJ"

I grinned from ear to ear. That’s how they do it. 30 years later. A note. Nothing fancy. Not four paragraphs. But a simple note on the kitchen table. Dear ____, Love ____.

No comments: