Thursday, April 02, 2009

Still listening

I’ve recently become enamored with Pandora—the internet radio site, where you can just type in some of your favorite artists and Pandora (mysterious genius behind a curtain somewhere) supplies a continuous flow of music that you will most likely enjoy. And he or she is probably right about 95% of the time! I do like almost all of the songs provided.

I currently have two “stations.” A Brett Dennan one, playing nonstop chill stuff from The Weepies, Joshua Radin, Jack Johnson, Iron and Wine, Ray LaMontagne and Mason Jennings to name a few. And then I have an Otis Redding one, with Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald, Marvin Gaye, Louis Armstrong, et. al.

One of my favorite things though about Pandora is that it’ll periodically stop and ask if you’re still listening. You then have to click the little button, “Yes, I’m still listening.” Sometimes I have a meeting and I leave Pandora on. I come back to find her asking me if I’m still listening, and I feel bad. Like I have to explain to her, sorry, I just met some friends over lunch and then had a meeting, but I’m back now. Thanks for waiting so patiently.

This morning as I journaled, I felt like I needed to tell God, “Yes, I’m still listening.” It’s just been such a busy week, what with vacations and school and long workdays. He’s kind of like Pandora I guess. Truly a mysterious genius supplying a steady flow of very cool things. And thankfully, He doesn't wait on me to tell Him that I’m still listening.

No comments: