Friday, April 03, 2009

The B-word

I’m sad to be missing a friend’s baby shower tomorrow. I don’t know if they will be playing any games, but I will say that if they do, I will NOT miss that part.

I’m not a huge shower game-er. Game-er period. I hate ice-breakers. Can’t we start up conversations without the use of cheesy games or questions? If I have to do an ice-breaker, then please break some ice into a glass of a special beverage for me too. I swear if you come to my baby shower, there will not be any games.

I’ve hula hooped at a shower before. Thrown a “dirty” diaper (one holding a little snickers bar) into a trash can. Molded a piece of bubble gum into a baby. Guessed tummy sizes. And then there’s the game where you receive points for not doing or saying certain things. Like crossing your legs. If someone sees you crossing your legs, you lose a point! Or you're not allowed to say certain words like "baby" or "girl."

A friend who hasn’t played as many shower games as me, went to a recent baby shower. As she walked in, she was told not to use the B-word. Using the B-word would result in her losing points, and then not winning the prize. The B-word? She wasn’t sure what this meant or was referring to. The B-word? She quietly asked the host, partly covering her mouth ... “we can’t say B*TCHES?”

Oh, this makes me laugh on this Friday morning. Yes. I will play that game at my shower!

No comments: