Saturday, April 04, 2009

Can you believe this?

Who knew? I can face paint.

This morning, I spent three hours at church painting bright-colored crosses, flowers, eggs, chicks, and rabbits on hands, cheeks, and for one boy—his forehead. He was adamant about having a brown basket of eggs prominently displayed on his forehead.

Here’s the thing though…I can face paint, but I’m not sure I can face paint very well. And yet, the best part was that I’d finish and place the small mirror into the child’s sweaty palms. They’d move their head around until suddenly…oh…there it is….they saw their cheek and my masterpiece. And even when the colors bled too much or the little shake in my hand made the rainbow arch crooked, a huge grin spread across his or her face. They thought it was pretty cool. And they would look up at their mom and dad or grandma and grandpa, as if to ask, do you see this on my FACE?! Can you believe this?! I watched them hop down from the chair and run off to a friend or a sibling and point to their water-based tattoo excitedly.

It’s the Easter spirit. We are so far from perfect, like my artwork, and the Lenten season reminds us of this. But Jesus died and then rose again for us, and His disciples (and me) could barely believe it “because of joy and amazement,” (Luke 24:41). So, let’s hop off our chairs!

No comments: