Friday, April 17, 2009

His colorful blossoms

Gasp.
Buds! They’re on the trees. There’s no turning back now, fellow Minnesotans. We are in spring, at long last. Alleluia! 'Bout dang time.

Last night, I discovered that I have bulbs coming up in my yard, but I don’t know what they are. I moved into my place in October, so I only know my home during the fall and winter. Spring is new territory. I started pondering what color exactly the bushes would turn out to be. What about the blossoms on the trees? Is anything planted in the corner? If I put juice in my hummingbird feeder, will I get hummingbirds? All these questions! And it’s fun thinking about the surprise of it all.

Last night in doing homework (which included digging up [garden pun intended] some passages from Old Testament wisdom literature), I came across the oft-quoted Lamentations 3:22-23.

Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.


His mercies, His blessings, His gifts are new each morning. We have no idea what they will be! Just like my bulbs. I was challenging myself to think about my days like that—in terms of opportunities and potential, rather than routines. What cool thing will He do today? How will He surprise me? What colors will His blossoms be?

No comments: