Sunday, August 24, 2008

Who really knows

Mom and I have a weird, truncated language.

Did you…
No, because…
Yes, I know, but if you don’t do it soon, th…
I know, but I was…
But still you…
OK. Wh…
On Friday...
Did sh...
Yup

You have no idea what we’re saying, but we do. We know and understand all the details without having to say them. So much so that we cut each other off. We don’t even need to hear everything. We just know because we have this crazy, somewhat eerie connection. Sometimes she freaks me out. It’s true what they say; moms really do know. And sometimes we know how the other is feeling just by looking at each other or by slight intonations in our voices over the phone.

The Bible verse I memorized this week comes from Isaiah 65, specifically verse 24: “Before they call, I will answer; while they are yet speaking, I will hear.”

It’s such a great comfort to me that I don’t need to explain myself to God. And when I can’t find the words to pray, when I’m sick and tired of praying for or about the same thing, all I need to do is mumble a word, and He knows. Oh how he knows. He’s way ahead of me, finishing my sentences.

Dads really do know too.

No comments: