Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Holy blogging!

Now, I’ve recently taken up this blogging thing. And admittedly I think quite often during the day about how such-and-such comment or particular event would make such a good blog post. And sometimes I feel like I got so much to say I could post three times a day (but I don’t!). Other times, I ain’t got nothin’ so could be three days until I post. But, today I saw something I hope I never do.

I sat in a seminar behind a blogger. He had his Mac opened and online to his blogspot blog. I saw the title of his blog and thought, hmm…I should go check it out. Wonder what he has to say. Well, now I know, and I don’t want to check it out.

As the session began, he titled a new post “Afternoon session…” And then he copied the paragraph from our conference booklet about this particular afternoon session. At the end he said “Stay tuned.”

Five minutes into the session blogger man begins yet another new post. This post was one sentence long and was the point up on our Powerpoint slide. The one that really wasn’t all that important, so I didn’t even bother writing it down. He ended this particular post with “More coming.”

And at this point I’m not even focusing on the seminar. I’m trying to wipe the smile off my face. I mean is he getting comments to these posts? Are people really sitting at their computer staying tuned for more coming? Do they really want to know what’s going on in higher education in terms of strategic communications planning? But I’ll tell you, I was staying tuned because I wanted to know what he was going to say next. And then I thought, well, maybe his bosses want to make sure he’s attending the sessions and not off gallivanting around Burlington, Vermont? Or maybe HE’s the boss and he’s told all his employees that for the next four days, they are to sit communally in the conference room in the office and essentially—indirectly—attend the seminars with him. I mean maybe they have budget problems and can't afford travel for everyone.

And yup. Sure enough. Another post 10 minutes later. The next major point made in the Powerpoint presentation. Man, I thought, this brings new meaning to up-to-date. And for my friends who try to post new stuff to their blog each day...try updating by the minute?!

So, favor: if I ever do anything remotely close to this here, on this blog, let this girl know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh you are just hilarious! I love the way you write...I just "happened by" your blog and ended up reading a bunch of posts! I'll come back - great stuff, great analogies, great thoughts. :)