Monday, August 11, 2008

Don't say it

Tit for tat.
I really don’t like this phrase. Who came up with it? And where did it come from anyways? And people always use such a flippant tone with it. Almost like “sucks to be you!” “Tit for tat!” It’s just not nice. (and "tit" at any time is just bad)

Well, I guess it originated in the 1550s (yup, I spent 10 minutes of my lunch checking into this). And etymologically it came from “tip for tap.” Instantly, I thought, oh, ok, that’s kind of cool. I got this image of a friendly gentleman sliding some pennies across a wood counter toward the bartender in thanks for his tap—his favorite ale. Just a nice exchange. You give me beer, I give you little tip.

But actually that’s the wrong “tip” and “tap.” The original “tip” was tip as in a “light blow.” And “tap” as in another light blow. You hit me, I hit you—not so nice. The ole eye-for-an-eye adage. It’s actually referring to a form of retaliation. And an unequal one at that. Seriously, if someone tips you over, first of all, you’re on the ground and not in a position to “tap” them (maybe on the leg or something). And I hardly think tapping is retaliation for tipping someone over.

We use “tit for tat” now usually in the form of an adjective. Like “He really got her back. It was truly tit for tat.” But I guess there was a popular song in the early sixteenth century, where “tit” and “tat” were used as verbs.
Come tit me, come tat me,/Come throw a kiss at me.

Come hit me, come hit me? And then blow me a kiss?
What?!!

But still I wonder who made the change from tip to tit and tap to tat. Who had the right? He or she must have been a leader though because thousands of people followed suit. My little word study didn’t make me like this adjective anymore. Don't say it.

1 comment:

Bryan McInnis said...

Hey, thanks for the informative explanation of this age-old saying. I do, however, beliene Dwight Schrute said it best:
Dwight: "Tit for tit."
Jim: "That's not the saying."
Dwight: "Well...it should be."