Friday, August 15, 2008

By golly, it's Friday

Here’s why Fridays at my office rock:
First. I can wear flip flops. Maybe I shouldn’t, but I do, and nobody’s said anything to me about taking “casual Fridays” too far. And with my flip flops, I wear capris and a hoodie (Cali peeps: today it’s my Encinitas surfboard one, thank you). No heels. No thin, dressy shirts that may be cute but keep me cold all day long. No nice kackis that have me worried about spilling coffee all day.

Second. The same person brings in donuts from Cub every Friday at 9am. If the donuts aren’t here at 9:02am, I usually hear someone questioning where the donut-bringer is. And is he coming in today? Doesn’t he realize we’re all waiting?! Nobody admits it, but funny … the workroom seems to have quite a few people milling about around the 9 o'clock hour, checking their mail even though the mail doesn’t come until later. They all want to make sure they get their favorite donut! I always cut off half of one of those twisty cinnamon things with a plastic knife, leaving everybody to wonder who the heck took half—I mean for real, just take the whole thing. And I would, it’s really good, but the whole thing would make me sick to my stomach.

Third. Fridays in the summer are pretty quiet in my building, but they’re pretty loud in my office. I turn my music up. Today it’s been Cities97 for awhile and then “She and Him.” The she being Zooey Deschanel. Weird, huh? She did sing in the shower on Elf ("baby, it's cooooold outside"), but who knew she (and him) had her own stuff out?

Fourth. It's C3F: Chocolate Chip Cookie Friday. 1:30pm each Friday someone (a different someone each week) brings in cookies, sometimes homemade, sometimes store-bought, but always with milk. And we, again, eat something sweet because, well, by golly, it's Friday!

And at about 3pm, the countdown begins with one of my coworkers via email. 1.5 hours. 1.25 hours. 58 minutes. 31 minutes. It doesn’t matter that usually neither one of us has a hot date or exciting plans for the evening, it’s Friday. And that’s cause enough for celebration. For the record though, tonight I actually do have some fun plans. Happy weekend.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

It's Chocolate Chip Cookie Friday, but I'll let it slide this once, just cuz it's Friday. :)

Anonymous said...

She & Him!!!! Oh my gosh, Chris and I saw them in concert in NY and they were AMAAAZING. I love them.

Girlfriend, you and I are music soul sisters. *sigh* Though you do not share my love for Sufjan. That's OK though, because you DO share my love for pretty much everything else. hehe.

At the concert though, the real stunner for me was Him ... aka M. Ward. He is so ohmygandhi sexy.

Chris and I are thinking of dressing up as them for halloween :)
check them out here:
http://www.sheandhim.com/sheandhim.php#media

i think i could pull off that beehive hehe!