Friday, June 05, 2009

Turtle time

Last night, I ran around the lake. If I pass people along the way going the opposite direction, chances are good, I’ll run into them on the other side of the lake at some point. So, you give that knowing hi-again, we’ve-already-seen-each-other wave and slight nod. It’s not often that I keep running into the same people going the same direction as me. But I did last night.

A dad and son. Dad on a bike. Son in one of those enclosed bike trailers being pulled by his dad’s bike. The first time I saw them, they had pulled off the path, gotten out of--or off--their respective modes of transportation and were crouched down looking at something in the grass. The dad was pointing, and the son with his way-too-big-helmet had his hands on his knees, seriously investigating. I smiled at the dad and kept going. Not long after, they passed me. The son in the trailer bump, bump, BUMPing along.

I continued on my merry way, lost in thought. Next thing I knew, dad and son were in front of me again. On the side of the path they had stopped and this time were looking at a large turtle that was chillin’ on the shoreline. I nodded to the dad and kept running.

Shortly after, they passed me again. One more time. They were again stopped. Hunched over. This time looking at another turtle, a smaller one, and I happened to be in between songs as I passed them. So I heard the dad telling his son that the turtle’s head was inside the shell. For the third time, I smiled at the dad as I ran by. Shortly after, they passed me for the last time. I didn’t see them again.

But, I got to thinking about what a cool dad he must be. I wondered if I’d be patient enough to continue stopping the bike ride, unzipping the bike trailer, unbuckling my child, pulling him or her out, so he or she could investigate. We’re always in such a hurry. But I imagine that seeing those turtles and learning about them was probably going to be the highlight of the little boy’s week. They’d get home and dad would encourage son to tell mom what they saw on their bike ride. A TURTLE!

If God were the dad pulling me with His bike, I think I might be the fussy child who doesn’t want to get out. I’d rather just sit and keep going to get to whatever destination I think I need to get to. And get there quickly! In doing this, I’d surely miss out. I think there are times in life where God is asking us to get out. To hunch over and look...there are things we need to see, to learn about, to hear about, people we need to meet and get to know before we keep going. Because then later, just like the boy probably told his mom about the turtles, we can share our experiences (and what we've learned from them) with others. But so often, I’m obstinate: No, thanks. Just get me to where I want to go.

In conversing with a friend last night, I realized that although neither one of us really wanted to get out of the bike trailer, we did and we’re now looking at turtles (funnily enough...like the slowest things EVER), and we’re looking at them together as God teaches us through each other and strengthens our friendship. And I’m pretty grateful I’m not missing out on that (even if I didn't want to get out in the first place!). Pretty soon we’ll hop back in the trailer and God’ll pedal us to the next turtle.

No comments: