Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A true pick-me-up

I remember getting picked up from the airport once. I’ve gotten picked up from the airport many times, but this particular time stands out because my friend stood out. Rather than driving around the circle over and over and over (so as not to be yelled at by security for spending one too many seconds in the same spot), waiting for me to get my luggage, she parked the car, walked in, and was standing there to greet me as I came down the escalator! What a surprise!

I hugged her and said she didn’t need to park, and that I felt bad we’d have to pay a small fee (a whoppin’ 50 cents or something). It was definitely the less convenient thing for her to do, but she assured me that she wanted to see me and that it was no trouble whatsoever. She didn’t want to waste the minutes that I would spend waiting for my luggage. We could be talking during that precious time! I mean, definitely time for a few good laughs. At the Minneapolis airport, probably 10 good laughs.

And I was thankful because we didn’t have to do the drive-through pick up. You know the one. Traveler walks out of baggage claim. Driver parks at curb, gets out, runs hurriedly around car and there’s an awkward, rushed hug and hi-I-haven’t-seen-you-in-forever-but-we-can’t-really-talk-right-now-because-security-is-blowing-their-whistle-at-us-and-the-driver-of-the-massive-SUV-behind-us-is-about-to-run-us-over-or-flick-us-off-and-my-rolling-duffel-has-just-fallen-off-the-curb-and-we-gotta-get-in-the-car-NOW-OR-WE’LL-DIE greeting.

Now, I know the people who pick me up from the airport and don’t park love me. Lots. And FYI, if I pick you up from the airport and I don’t park, and get out and greet you in baggage claim, it doesn’t mean I don’t care, or I’d rather you hadn’t made the trip. Alls I’m sayin’ is that it was a small, thoughtful, gracious (and remembered) gesture, indicative of this friend’s nature. And also indicative of why I’m friends with her.

I’m picking her and her husband up from the airport today, and I’m going to park my car and greet them in the baggage claim.

No comments: