Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I was getting to that

I was recently dating someone and he asked what some of my pet peeves were. (Now I think I would respond: YOU’RE my pet peeve!) But the thing is, I know I have some pet peeves, but when pressed, I can’t seem to tell you what they are off the top of my head. (Some of you are like, oh, well, I can tell you what yours are...) But I’ve realized one. When you’re talking to someone and they cut you off to ask a question. And their question would be answered momentarily if they’d only hold their horses! I’m about to get there if they’d simply let me finish my sentence...and maybe the next sentence!

Now, I appreciate that they’re listening, and not only are they listening, but wanting to know more information about what they’re listening to. But the word is listening. Not talking.

And I think the reason I don’t like this is because I come off looking like the bad communicator--like I'm not providing all the necessary information for the story to make sense--when it’s really the other person who is a bad listener!

Halfway through a sentence, someone cuts me off, asks a question. So then I am forced to fast forward to the part of the next sentence where I was planning on addressing that very thing. My communication becomes choppy because I’m having to stop, fast forward, stop, fast forward.

But, I guess I really shouldn’t worry about looking like--sounding like--the bad communicator in these cases, because often the only person there to notice and think this is the cutter-offer person. And we already know they’re too busy not listening.

Who wants to start a conversation with me now?!

No comments: