Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Up or down

When and how did up and down come to an agreement?

The phrases "something's going down" and "something's up" now mean the same thing.
Like, you and a buddy are wondering what's wrong with a friend. If something is bothering him or her. Someone says, "something's definitely up." The other nods in agreement. "Yup. something's going down."

And then someone asks me to a movie, or coffee, or something. I can say, "I'm up for that" or "I'm down for that." Either way, I mean the same thing.

How do these things happen? I'd love to be the person to begin a similar trend. To be the person who says, Ok, now I'm going to start using "down" as if it's "up." Can I just make up my own? If you hear me saying, "Something's around..." that means "Something's up." You down with that?

2 comments:

Shelby M said...

I'm up for that. :)

Brad said...

Gravy!