Thursday, January 08, 2009

That's why

On the way to work this morning, I was singing along to Coldplay’s song "Viva La Vida." I’ve had the album for quite some time, but I caught myself mumbling.

“I hear Jerusalem bells a ringing...
Roman Catholic choirs are singing...
La la la mm hmm...missionaries...la...la...hmmm...
For some reason I can’t explain...hmmm...mmm.”


I can sing along, sort of. But if pressed, I cannot tell you all the words.

I started back to class on Tuesday, and I was recently joking with some friends about my particular schooling. I’m in seminary. And I can tell you from experience that this is not the “coolest” thing to say at the bar.

What do you do?
Oh, work fulltime as an editor. Go to grad school at night.
Where are you going to school?
my school.
Oh, what are you studying?
At this point, a friend might budge in and say, “She’s going to seminary. She’s a seminarian.” Sem.In.Ar.I.An.
And then the looks of slight disdain. First by the inquirer who’s now wondering if I’m wanting to become a nun. And second by me wondering why my friend couldn’t just leave it at “grad school.”

Yes. Yes. I’m in seminary, ok? I’m a seminarian.
The next inevitable question is why.

I was thinking this morning that there are aspects of my faith that feel like some of my singing. I can mumble along, but if pressed, I’m stuck.

When I got to work this morning, I looked up the lyrics to Viva La Vida. In addition to learning some of the phrases, I discovered that some of the words I was so sure of weren’t exactly right. Like “Roman Catholic choirs are singing.” Nope. It’s actually Roman CALVARY. (I know a few of my blog readers probably caught this earlier!)

Anyways, I’ve made some pretty big decisions based on my faith, and sometimes I have felt like I was mumbling through them. I knew what I was doing or saying and maybe even why, but the understanding...the comprehension got fuzzy. Answers felt trite. It feels good to look up the lyrics behind Christianity. I know I’ll always mumble and will probably forget some of the lyrics I learn, but that’s why seminary, that’s why it’s back to class on Tuesday nights. So I can sing.

Ok? to the guy at the bar. That’s why!

No comments: