Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Holy Busy and Whole Foods


Alright. So, I’m honored that people have been asking me why I haven’t written on this blog in so long. But it also makes me feel delinquent! I’m sorry!

The main reason? At the beginning of the year, I started co-blogging with dad. We are walking people through the Bible chronologically in a year at BjsBrew.blogspot.com. So, we post each day—dad does video or I write. And that has been sucking up a lot of my time and the remaining creative juices I have after school and freelance.

Additionally, I am 1.5 classes shy of getting my masters and am in full-on cram mode trying to write my senior statement.

It’s been a little busy! But, I’m going to try to check in more frequently to HJ’s Haunt and will likely talk about very frivolous topics and the stupid, quirky things that I observe in Southern California. For my deeper, more philosophical, spiritual thoughts, you’ll have to go to BJsBrew.

So, anyways, B and I hit up Whole Foods a while ago for a nice guilt-ridden meal.

The Whole Foods out here is not just a store. It’s an experience. You can take yoga classes, buy yoga clothes—and Tom’s shoes, taste beer and wine, take cooking classes, grab espresso at the coffee shop, get your groceries, and eat your heart out. One whole side of the store is a big multi-cultural buffet. There’s the Asian counter, the Mexican counter, the Japanese sushi counter, panini counter, soup and salad counter, deli, bakery. And then after you’ve spent an hour just trying to figure out what to have, you can enjoy a nice sit-down dinner IN the store at one of the many booths and tables available.

On a busy, errand-running evening, B and I became those people. You know, the people who eat hotdogs at Costco or Subway inside the Wal-Mart, amidst the consumer chaos. I’ve always thought that was gross (sorry if you do it on a regular basis!). And there I was eating food where people shopped. But again, Whole Foods not just a store. It’s an experience!

After about 20 minutes of wandering the buffet befuddled by so many options, we paid $20 for cups of soup and grilled sandwiches. B and I sat down at a booth and then proceeded to watch all the people pay for their insanely high-end, organic groceries, put them in expensive, organic reusable bags, and then walk out in their brand-name yoga or workout clothes. Lululemon is, in fact, just across the street!

With my mouth full, I told B…this is sort of disgusting.

"Whuddya mean?" he asked.

All this organic, fancy-schmancy food and the only people who get it are the rich!

"Yeah."

Slurp on some nummy soup.

And, B says, "This just encourages our society to be what we don't like..."

Whuddya mean?

"Well, we can’t take time for anything. Heaven forbid you slow down and enjoy life. We need a store where you eat, work out, get caffeine, say hi to friends, get your liquor (taste your liquor), eat again, get your vitamins, and leave. Maybe there’s even a room in back where you can sleep. But do everything as fast as possible with as little effort as possible."

Yeah.

Nother bite of our tasty sammiches.

So, next time, just eat at home?

"Yeah."