Friday, May 13, 2011

Thoughts, Rays, and Time

I just finished reading Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (highly recommend). She tells the story of Louis Zamperini, an Olympic runner and a WWII pilot. His plane goes down, and he’s stuck in a raft with two other guys for something like 47 days. To pass the time, he would describe some of his mom’s famous recipes…how much of this, how much of that, what to do, what not to do, how long to bake. Having run out of recipes and repeated them so many times, he began testing his audience of two (they had no choice but to play his game!). He’d leave ingredients out or switch up amounts and see if they’d notice. Even with his mom’s many recipes, he could not pass all the hours of 47 days. Louie was left to his own thoughts, the sun’s rays, and time. He actually began to conjure up memories he never had before—experiences he had as a little boy, conversations he suddenly remembered for the first time. Supposedly, his mind, finally free of so much other stuff, was able to tap into these.

Last time I blogged, I was in Minnesota. Alone. Working (and quitting) a fulltime job while taking two grad school classes and trying to sell our house and trying to keep the driveway shoveled because the snow Would. Not. Stop. And trying to spend every second of extra time with family and friends before I moved across the country.

Stop…deep breath.

Now, I write from California. Not alone. Finally with my amazing man of a husband. And I have time. Time to breathe. Time I’ve not had in years. Time to read for fun. Time to sew. Time to cook. Time to journal!

It’s not until some things leave your mind that you realize how full it really was. I haven’t had room in my mind for awhile to blog. I’m rusty and a little hesitant. But slowly as some things have seeped out of my mind, I’ve been able to recall glimpses of creativity and inspiration. And thus , you should start hearing from me more often. Please, bear with me for a bit as I consider how to give my blog a little facelift. I’m fully aware that the colors, font, and photos are currently out of whack.

Nevertheless, I am here with my own thoughts, the sun’s rays and, finally, some time.

1 comment:

Jeannie Choi said...

YAY! hj blogs!

i've missed them so. i've missed YOU so.