Wednesday, March 04, 2009

New hubcaps and attitudes

I recently lost a hubcap, and nearly a tooth, going over a nasty pothole a couple weeks ago. My poor car looked so ghetto driving around hubcap-less. And what’s worse is that another one of my hubcaps was cracked and half gone too. I didn’t actually avoid parking spots, but I was cognizant of the fact that if I parked on the left side of people, drivers could see my hubcap issues. And they’d...think less of me? Think I don’t have money to repair? Who cares! I don’t even know, but I somehow felt like it was a strike against me.

And you must know, I’m vain about other things, but when it comes to my car, I really, generally, could care less (don’t believe me? ask my brother--he’s appalled at my vehicle choice). I’ve been driving a 98 black Chevy Prism since I was a sophomore in college. She’s got 112,000 miles on her and for the most part, has given me very few problems. So, why get a new car? No point. I don’t really know why I even thought about other people noticing my missing hubcap(s).

Even more funny, as I pulled one of the remaining in-tact hubcaps off as dad was replacing them for me, I saw the twist tie that a rather resourceful friend of mine in California had used to hold that particular hubcap on when it fell off a couple years ago. I heard it fall off and was able to go back and pick it up. An inside spoke had cracked through and needed a little reinforcement. With a twist tie. Genius, really.

My attitude has mirrored my hubcaps of late. The long, dark, winter months have taken their toll, creating huge pot holes in my plans and routines. Cold temps have cracked good moods and I think last week’s little “thundersnow” officially made my hubcap-of-an-attitude fall off into the ditch. I’ve been looking for it ever since! Thankfully resourceful friends and family with fun twist ties—coffee dates, breakfasts at cozy places, and movies—have kept me going.

My new hubcaps are the cheapest ones available, but I still feel pretty spiffy sportin’ them around. And today’s temps are not exactly hot, but they’re warmer, causing a new spiffiness in my attitude. I didn’t even need gloves when I ran an errand over lunch!

Soon, very soon, I will drive around with new hubcaps and my windows rolled down!

No comments: