Thursday, March 19, 2009

Just make a vision board.

Are you kidding me? At the risk of offending some people, this idea is ridiculous.

I generally don’t watch TV, but with company in town a couple months ago, I was subjected to the very first (and for me, the ONLY) episode of the most recent Bachelor. They did brief little snip-its of each potential girl. One had vision boards—essentially pieces of posterboard, like I used to use for school projects—on which she pasted cut-out magazine phrases and pictures. Like "Happiness" "Love" "Fitness" and a big, fat diamond ring cut most likely from a jewelry ad. She then quickly explained to the millions of people tuning in, along with the bachelor (who I hope didn’t select her) that a vision board is a representation of the things you want and long for, and essentially, because you went through the trouble of making said vision board, the items and things on said vision board will actually come into your real line of vision! Ta Dah! Diamond ring right in your living room. I don’t know for sure because I haven’t read the book, but supposedly this vision board idea comes from the popular book The Secret.

I’m being obnoxious, I know. But, it just doesn’t work that way! If it did, wouldn’t we all have our houses stocked with posterboard and glue sticks and subscribe to every magazine under the sun? I’d go to Jo-Ann’s right now with my 40% off coupon and get me a new scissors!

In a conversation with friends last night, we got to talking about these vision boards. This in turn got me thinking about our wants—longings that are so strong and deep. Sometimes so strong they have the power to create in us bad attitudes, lethargy, hopelessness, when they are not fulfilled. They can shadow joy and laughter and happiness in other things. We want so badly that we will even create vision boards (I wonder if there’s a Wiki-how on vision board making).

I’ve often wondered about David writing some of the Psalms. That dude is intense! He often challenges me in my seeking and desiring for God. He writes about heavenly things like we write about earthly things (or cut and paste about earthly things). Do we want God as much as we want those things on our vision boards? Do I really long for God?

Psalm 63 shows that intensity I’m talking about. David says, "in my heart, I long for you, as I would long for a stream in a scorching desert." Now, granted, he supposedly wrote this while he was in a desert, which most assuredly gave him some inspiration. Inspiration I may not have as I sit here at my desk with a bottle of water and some peppermint tea and animal crackers. But... still. And what’s interesting is that David’s longing doesn’t result in bad attitudes and hopelessness. But rather he talks of "joyful praises" and "excitement" and "happy songs." It's because you don't even need a vision board with God. Long for Him, and He fulfills.

In my heart, I long for you, as I would long for a stream in a scorching desert.
I have seen your power and your glory in the place of worship.
Your love means more than life to me, and I praise you.
As long as I live, I will pray to you.
I will sing joyful praises and be filled with excitement like a guest at a banquet.
I think about you before I go to sleep, and my thoughts turn to you during the night.
You have helped me, and I sing happy songs in the shadow of your wings.
I stay close to you, and your powerful arm supports me.

Psalm 63:1-9

3 comments:

Unknown said...

a vision board is the best....and good for you to realize that....you can even take it one step further and that is a Vision Map Video....i like videos even better as they are for your eyes only and i love watching a video...it seems more motivating for me...check them out...which ever one you choose be sure and use them on a daily basis...they really do work!!!!....have fun!!!

darlene
http://visionmapvideo.blogspot.com/

Jeannie Choi said...

erm. Darlene. Did you read the post? Hj does not like vision boards.

hj said...

thank you, jeannie