Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My office-eating secrets

I am incredibly grossed out by office refrigerators. I mean...other people’s leftovers left over in the fridge for months? Yuck!

I want to be green and use a real spoon for my oatmeal in the morning, but I don’t like using the general, everyone-can-use, office spoons. You don’t know how well others have washed the utensils (IF they washed them). So, I’ve actually stolen one and keep it in my drawer. It’s MY oatmeal spoon. (you should try it. Nobody notices.)

I don’t like putting my soup into a microwave that still smells like the food of the person who used it before me. I may love the person AND the food, but...

I’m so thankful I’m in an office that eats EVERYTHING. There’s never any old, crusty food sitting out.

I don’t understand how a person can drink the rest of the coffee, but then leave the coffee pot ON so that the little coffee that remains burns and smells.

Sometimes my lunch is a piece of fruit and a whole sleeve of soda crackers. I love soda crackers. Some people call them saltines, which makes more sense. Where does the soda come from? And the beauty of this lunch? No microwave or spoon necessary.

My aunt gave me a special soup mug that has a cover with little holes. Now I NEVER contribute to the gross, caked-on food on the top of the office microwave. Even if it sounds like I am (you know when your soup gets hot and pops and then everyone looks to make sure you're going to clean up after yourself).

One microwave across the hall heats my soup up in 2 minutes and 22 seconds. The microwave closer to me actually requires TWO 2 minutes and 22 seconds heating sessions.

I used to buy the most amazing croutons from the most amazing market in Cali. I would actually apologize to my coworkers for how loud they were when I chewed them. Everyone could hear. I miss those croutons. And I miss those coworkers.

My days are actually mapped out by my eating habits. Four hours until lunch...2 hours until afternoon snack...

4 comments:

hj said...

An email from a coworker to the rest of the department this morning (almost as if she read my post yesterday):

"There are a couple of dirty food containers above the microwave in the workroom. One has been there more than a week. It makes me want to vom.
They will be going in the garbage at the end of the day today."

I'm not alone in wanting to "vom."

Jeannie Choi said...

oh my gosh that's hilarious.
how about huffy coworkers who remove your microwaved food with great angered flourish if you are even 15 seconds late in removing it from the microwave??? who also moonlight as body builders????

:D

don't you just love your new job?

hj said...

nuh-uh. body builder? i long for our trips to "it's a grind"...

Shelby M said...

how about when someone brings in baked goods from home, leave them on a team table to share, but then leave the gross, dried frosting-covered plate on said team table for weeks? thanks, but no thanks.