Monday, December 21, 2009

A good good week

“I’ve got a feeling…tonight’s gonna be a good good night…”

Heard the song? I’m sure you have. It’s the Black Eyed Peas.

But I bet you haven’t heard it in church! I have. As in played by the worship band during the service on Saturday night. As they started playing the instrumental intro, I thought to myself…oh, that’s funny, they’re kind of playing off of the Black Eyed Peas song. I wonder what hymn it’ll break into. They are very creative here at this church.

But then they started singing "I’ve got a feeling…" And I froze. Really? We’re singing Fergie in church? The song says jump off that sofa, not the pew, people! What are you doing?! And the line fill up my cup is not referring to communion! I looked around at others. Did they hear what was going on?

Thankfully, they didn’t go into the full song. Just the chorus. And then it quickly flowed into a "normal church song." But it totally made me uncomfortable. I didn’t like it one bit. I instantly started judging whoever it was that made the decision to sing that song. Who thought that was a good idea? How irreverent! Inappropriate!

I’ve been thinking about it more though…

First. It’s interesting as I’m generally on the other side of the fence. My worship preferences tend to be a bit edgier, more contemporary, more liberal (whatever term you prefer to use), than whoever I’m talking with. So, for me to suddenly think that something in the church service has been taken too far, is a switch. And it’s a little humbling. I don’t like when other people judge my worship preferences or deem them inappropriate. Who are they to say what is or isn’t worship for me? So, then, who am I to say the same of others?

Second. Ok. Fine. I can’t judge, but can I if what they’re playing is actually the music of hoochiemama nightclubs! If the video of the song is rather risqué? Let’s just say, Fergie doesn’t wear a turtleneck in it. It’s not like I’m judging their version of Amazing Grace! But, they didn’t play the video. Nor did they sing the whole song. They sang the chorus. So I should chill. And, I'm kind of a walking contradiction. If the song is good enough to chill on my radio for me to sing (dance) along to...I should probably be able to bring it into church?

Third. The song I’ve got a feeling makes you dance. I cannot hear this song without singing along, and I certainly cannot hear this song without at least boppin’ my head just a little bit (if not full-out dancing). And that is just the kind of joy I want to have because of Christ’s love for me. His goodness and grace is too good for us to remain seated in life! He is SO sacred that we should be moving! In fact, we may be disrespectful if we sit back quietly in life.

So, I don’t know. I just decided that it’s not my favorite thing to hear KDWB songs in church, but hey, if it works for others, fantastic. And if I had gotten over my shock of singing I've got feeling in church before they cut to the church song, I'm pretty sure I would have been dancing while worshipping!

It’s Jesus’ birthday this week. And I’ve got a feeling it’s going to be a good good week. One worth dancing to.

2 comments:

Brad said...

I'm glad you wrote about this. I also had a reaction to this as I heard it on Sunday morning. A very physically reaction (read: i started sweating) and I had no idea why other than the fact that I didn't feel that belonged in church. Except you know I wanted to shout out the DRANK and Mazel Tov parts. But I liked it when they played U2's Yahweh a few years ago :)

Did you notice there was much more of a "light show" this weekend as well? We didn't really love that either.

Merry Christmas. Love your blog. Keep writing it.

hj said...

THE LIGHTS! i know! too much. i turned to my friend and jokingly said, hey, i'm sorry i didn't tell you to wear your "clubbin' clothes!" and then a few minutes later..."i've got a feelin'..."

i found myself hoping afterwards that they are just steppin' it up a notch for the holidays? and that this is not going to become the norm?

also, my friend commented on the clapping after each song. there is normally NOT clapping. right? i don't think so.

anyways. merry christmas to you as well. thanks for reading.