Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Brought to my knees

Last night, I fell. I fell first to my knees and then to my hands.

I always get really concerned when I invite someone somewhere. I’ve asked them to MY environment in some way, shape or form, so I feel very responsible for their comfort. I want to make sure they have correct directions, that they know exactly where to go upon arrival and that I’m there to greet them when they arrive. So if that means being near the door at a party, or texting for whereabouts, or whatever.

Last night I invited a friend to this church gathering I’ve been going to fairly regularly on Tuesday nights. So we first chatted on the phone about directions earlier in the evening. I then texted her the number of the entrance she should use once I got there and checked on that. And then told her to text me when she arrived so I could be at the door to get her. I even sat in the back row so I could have easy access to the door. Well, through the window I actually saw my friend arrive and park. Excited, I jumped up and ran—not really ran, but definitely fast-walked—out of the room where the gathering is, into the hall and was about to turn the corner to the lobby where my friend would be entering.

I haven’t quite figured this out, but at this church, there’s also something for the military going on at the exact same time. There are guys and girls in their fatigues, training or something. I know. It sounds weird. But there’s camouflage and boots, and they’re always milling about. I don’t know. So, as I rounded the corner, these military people were all lined up in the lobby.

I’m in heels, having come straight from work. I’m fast-walking, as I mentioned, to greet my dear friend as she arrived. I turn the corner, and I think—I can’t be sure—but I think my heel caught the carpet wrong. And … I’m down. Woman down. To say it like this though makes it sound as though it was quick and painless. Like … she’s up and then she’s down. And that’s not what happened at all. It was a slow process. First, one knee hit the ground. Boom. Then slowly the other knee came crashing down. The second boom. And lastly, both hands met the ground, thankfully stopping my face from planting itself in the carpet. That was the third boom. What instantly came to mind was the movie “Vantage Point” which I watched over the weekend. That movie has an annoying amount of rewind action. It was constantly showing events in reverse. And that’s what I was envisioning … myself in reverse. Hands back at my side. Knee up. Other knee up. Walking backwards, very quickly. Back to my safe seat in the gathering room. But as this image raced through my mind, I realized I’d have to go past the military people to get back to my safe seat. And then reality hit. I just fell. In front of people. I had a line of men and women in camou behind me. I just pulled a major Bridget Jones.

Now, all of these thoughts took up probably three seconds. They were the three seconds of silence that ensued my fall. Everyone was speechless. The military behind me, the two greeters at the front door (if they were there, why did I feel the need to greet my friend?! They can say hello just fine!) and my dear friend. All were quiet, until I began laughing. I was devoid of all embarrassment. There was nothing except humor. The greeters laughed and yelled their condolences. My friend nearly fell as well from laughing so hard as she bridged the 10 feet or so between us. I rolled over onto my side, still on the ground, laughing and shaking my head. And finally one of the military men extended his hand to help me up, asking, with a smile if I was alright. Yes. Yes I was. Thank you. And yes, you can laugh.

So, what actually happened … I didn’t really greet my friend. She was the one there to greet me on my way up, with a hug. A big hug. She welcomed me back to my feet and held my hand as we walked into the gathering room, and even found us seats.

I’m so happy she came...just in case me falling down before her like the magi worshipping baby Jesus didn't get this point across...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh hj ... don't worry, I know that was just your ploy to get help from sexy army men!!!

juuuust kidding. I'm glad you're OK :)

Andrea said...

Oh my dear! I am beyond amused at this scenario ... it's as clear as day in my mind, and I feel like I was there. Giggle!! Anyway, remind me to tell you about some of my falls someday. REally, there's nothing to do but laugh. That is, if you haven't just rolled down a flight of stairs wearing a short purple dress and it ends up places it shouldn't be, showing things that shouldn't be shown. (that was a doozy.) Love you!