Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sorry, special friend

I work for two departments. One had its Christmas party today. We each received red monogrammed aprons and got to celebrate the season by visiting special stations: the gingerbread-house-making table, the cookie-decorating table and the pretzel-dipping table. Our boss reserved a special room and turned it into our own little holiday workshop over the lunch hour. My other department will have its party next Friday night at my other boss’s house.

A few days ago, this boss called me into his office and told me that I was more than welcome to bring a "special friend" to the party. I thanked him but said I’d not be bringing a "special friend." He laughed and said he completely understood... that a work Christmas party is probably not the greatest date. I assured him that no, had I a "special friend," I’d bring him! I just didn’t have one. He said OK, but as long as I knew the invite was there. I walked back to my office and kind of laughed at the conversation, but then also frowned a little. It had reminded me that I do not have a "special friend."

And days before this happened, I had almost the exact same conversation with someone else. I was invited to this gracious person’s house for dinner, and she wanted to make sure I knew that I could "bring a guest." (Grandma? Mom? Brother? Anyone? Anyone? My stuffed monkey?) I told her thank you, but it’d be just me.

These two people were being incredibly nice and thoughtful, and I very much appreciate it. It's just never fun having to say out loud: I AM ALONE. SOLO. JUST ME. UNO. But I do have to smile realizing that when that "special friend" comes along...bless his soul...he’s going to be going everywhere with me! I’ll go around saying...You see him?
Feel him! He’s real.
And isn’t he tall and handsome?!
I know. Those eyes. Can you believe them?
Isn’t he just the most special friend you ever did meet?
And he is thrilled—positively thrilled—to be at this here work function with me right now.

I should apologize to him right now.

1 comment:

Shelby M said...

Special friend... isn't that a line from a gangster movie?? I believe it's something like, 'Say hello to my special friend!!' or is it 'little friend'? In any case, I think it's weird to say 'special friend' instead of guest or plus one. It creeps me out, probably because of the movie line. 'Say hello to my special friend! MUWA HAHAHAHA.'