Monday, December 22, 2008

The perma-flick

I experienced something new this morning.
The perma-flick.

My car thermostat read -14 degrees at about 7:30am. This in conjunction with the 4 to 5 inches of snow we received over the weekend means the roads are slick. Icy slick. The on- and off-ramps are treacherously icy, and back roads are far from clear. In fact, I saw four cars in the ditch on my way to work. And, while only going about 15 mph, I slid down a slight decline into a four-way stop as I left my neighborhood. So, needless to say, I was driving slowly. The majority of us were going about 35 to 40mph on a 60 mph-freeway.

Well, one guy was even going slower than the rest of us. He had to have been at about 20mph or so and, as he should have been, was in the far right lane. And that’s fine...I wasn’t mad...didn’t hold anything against him, I mean...maybe he’d actually been in the ditch yesterday and was spooked. Ain’t no thing. Nevertheless, I was comfortable going a little faster so I put my blinker on, veered to the next lane over and slowly passed him (as many others were doing too), and as I did...there it was...my new experience...the perma-flick.

Driving with his right hand on the wheel, looking straight ahead nonchalantly, this guy had his left elbow resting at the bottom of his window and just chillin’ there, not going anywhere, was his middle finger, flicking off all those who dared to pass it.

The normal, common flick usually lasts 3-5 seconds and is accompanied with a mean, mean face or scouring look. But this one was permanent (How long had he been flicking people off? And how many people?!), and the guy seemed to be happily listening to the radio. The gesture almost seemed friendly. Like a happy wave to all those going a little faster. I almost smiled and flicked him off right back. And a merry Christmas to you too, sir.

1 comment:

Brad said...

that's a funny story.